The Jackdaw was founded in 2000. Its purpose is to keep interested parties informed and entertained about aspects of art that are in the news. By and large it’s pretty nasty and critical of many things, and especially of the corrupt, self-serving art establishment which stinks like a rotting carcase. If The Jackdaw isn’t amusing in parts then it has failed. It’s pretty childish sometimes too and do beware because parts of it are not entirely true – I’ll leave it up to you to believe whichever bits you like and to disregard the rest. Some of it is serious. Some of it is just downright bad. Some issues are better than others. But no other art publication dares to be like it.
The last thing I want you to think is that The Jackdaw has an agenda. On the contrary, it doesn’t believe in anything at all and, by the way: “It’s totally unsuitable for Birmingham”.
“The only (one-man) magazine daring 1 to sock it to the contemporary art establishment … The author of this pearl of unconventional thinking, historian David Lee, is not some chuntering backwoodsman yet to catch up with Picasso, but a critically modern-minded chap. His magazine is cultural samizdat, packed with earthy jokes and scandals that are ignored elsewhere in the interests of keeping folk such as the Margate Express (Tracey Emin) or Dick Flasher (Damien Hirst) sweet” – Celia Walden, Daily Telegraph
“Intelligent”, “Bruisingly critical” – Evening Standard
“Entertaining”, “Subversive” – Daily Telegraph
“Dissident” – Sunday Times
“Lively satirical art magazine” – The Times
“Totally unsuitable for Birmingham” – Birmingham Art Gallery
“The Jackdaw? Is it a pub?” – Mrs Margi Doonham of Nottingham
The Jackdaw welcomes outside contributions and especially information. Submissions will not be returned and any information received will be treated with confidence.
All drawings in The Jackdaw are by wood engraver Ian Stephens RE (01604 460457). Ian is a member of the Royal Society of Painter-Printmakers www.banksidegallery.com/REMembers.aspx
Other cartoons are by John Ross www.johnrossart.co.uk/Jack_Daw.php
The Jackdaw will take advertisements: telephone or email for rates.
Advertisers will exercise no influence over editorial policy.
Contents of The Jackdaw, unless otherwise stated, are © The Jackdaw and permission must be received in advance before they are used elsewhere.
The Jackdaw ISSN: 1474-3914
Published by Jackdaw Newsletters Ltd., 93 Clissold Crescent, London N16 9AS
0207 254 4027
0777 367 3722
Getting hold of The Jackdaw
The Jackdaw is published six times a year (Jan-Feb; Apr-Mar; May-Jun; Jul-Aug; Sept-Oct; Nov-Dec), and mailed to subscribers by second class post one week before the beginning of the subject period.
- Current issue: £7 incl P&P
- Back issues: £5 incl P&P
Annual subscription (six issues):
- £40 in Britain
- £45 in Europe
- $80 in North America
- £50 elsewhere
Payable by cheque to: The Jackdaw at 93 Clissold Crescent, London N16 9AS
We will send you a complimentary copy if you email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org
Website usage terms and conditions
The term ‘Jackdaw Newsletters Ltd.’ or ‘The Jackdaw’ or ‘us’ or ‘we’ refers to the owner of the website whose registered office is 93 Clissold Crescent, London N16 9AS. The term ‘you’ refers to the user or viewer of our website.
- The content of the pages of this website is for your general information and use only. It is subject to change without notice.
- Neither we nor any third parties provide any warranty or guarantee as to the accuracy, timeliness, performance, completeness or suitability of the information and materials found or offered on this website for any particular purpose. You acknowledge that such information and materials may contain inaccuracies or errors and we expressly exclude liability for any such inaccuracies or errors to the fullest extent permitted by law.
- Your use of any information or materials on this website is entirely at your own risk, for which we shall not be liable. It shall be your own responsibility to ensure that any products, services or information available through this website meet your specific requirements.
- This website contains material which is owned by or licensed to us. This material includes, but is not limited to, the design, layout, look, appearance and graphics. Reproduction is prohibited other than in accordance with the copyright notice, which forms part of these terms and conditions.
- All trademarks reproduced in this website, which are not the property of, or licensed to the operator, are acknowledged on the website.
- Unauthorised use of this website may give rise to a claim for damages and/or be a criminal offence.
- From time to time, this website may also include links to other websites. These links are provided for your convenience to provide further information. They do not signify that we endorse the website(s). We have no responsibility for the content of the linked website(s).
- Your use of this website and any dispute arising out of such use of the website is subject to the laws of England, Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.